“The Guv’nor was a brilliant effort to create a full-featured overdrive pedal worthy of its Marshall heritage. Personally named by Jim Marshall himself, “The Guv’nor” is British slang for “The Leader,” or a musician’s expression in the UK meaning “The Ultimate.”
“Solid state technology was used to “unleash a stunning variety of the best-sounding classic and contemporary distortion sounds known to man,” according to an article introducing the Guv’nor in the Vol. 6, No. 1 issue of Marshall Law from 1989. Everything is housed in a tough, steel-reinforced case.”
- GAIN – This controls the intensity of the drive and will provide a stunning range of overdrive selections. Lower settings will give a simple volume boost, while advanced settings will provide screaming solo sounds.
- BASS – Controls the lower frequencies giving a range from thudding, heavy rhythm, to tight and punchy solo response.
- MIDDLE – This control provides the key to an unbelievable range of distortion tones. When backed off, the sound is smooth and fat for more lyrical blues/rock playing styles. Increasing the contour changes the character of the mid-response and enhances the treble and bass frequencies.
- TREBLE – High end response control which tailors the attack and enhances the harmonic content. All three EQ controls are truly interactive, letting the player dial in anything from hard-driving, modern Marshall distortion, to the sweet, syrupy sustain of classic vintage models.
- LEVEL – Provides control of the overall level and amount of boost.
- SWITCH – On/off switch to bypass or activate the pedal with indicator LED to show the status
More information here: